Friday, August 19, 2016

Making school a Formative Experience

Peardeck is much more interesting for the kids to engage with instead of writing answers in their notebooks. I have the free version so it does not store answers that I can formally check, but I definitely get a strong sense when I display the answers after the allotted time. This also shows other students where they are going right/wrong.

I teach 4th grade and students are still getting comfortable with using a laptop as a learning tool. Typing is still difficult and I work with a high population of ELLs, which means writing a simple sentence can also be challenging. I think more multiple question options would help me get through content faster. They all want to do well with their answers, so it ends up taking longer than a quick assessment. The students asked for more time for each question. I applaud them for wanting to do well though. The peardeck just shows how difficult reading comprehension can be for students. But I think constantly getting feedback in a way where they know they will not be formally graded is very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment